We have also successfully put in place a value chain approach that suits a specific set of variables (climate, soil, access to finance and markets) to ensure empowerment and much-needed employment in our country. We are thus able to assist corporates with the following services:
- Implement appropriate project governance
- Review quality compliance and critical risks for all projects
- Monitor that projects meet the necessary deadlines within approved timelines and quality levels
- Establish and maintain continuous improvement processes
- Assist in establishing the integrity of the project’s portfolio
- Provide management reports and information to key stakeholders
- Assist in implementing appropriate project control processes
- Maintain training schedules and training reports
- Maintain asset registers, lease and project registers and verify these annually
- Assist with (farm) accounts to track relevant project costs and invoices
- Ensure sound financial and budgeting controls are maintained
PASSION. COMMITMENT. UNDERSTANDING. 97 YEARS.
- Collect, monitor and evaluate farm statistics/performance (information dissemination on production, employment statistics, assets and governance on farms)
- Manage and maintain the farm database
- Report deviations and variances to responsible persona/officials
- Perform data analysis and compile reports
- Produce standard project reports to track the progress of project implementation and report back
- Assist in the provision of information for reports, compilation of reports
- Prepare presentations
- Precision planning of farming operations
- Strategy development of the subject farm
- Project planning
- Full agronomy services
- Finance, financial management and cost management
- Financial services inclusive of short term and long term in-house insurance
- Marketing guidance and market research
- Linking to market negotiations with off takers
- Training, mentoring and coaching farmers
Our team of professionals working in multidisciplinary fields, including agronomy, agriculture economics and project management provide a range of professional services to attain successful results in the establishment and development of new era producers/beneficiaries.
The Emerging Farmer Initiative was launched by British American Tobacco South Africa (“BATSA”) in 2011 to facilitate transformation in the tobacco industry in South Africa. The project creates new era farmers i.e. tobacco producers within previously marginalised communities in suitable agricultural areas of South Africa.
The new era farmers produce sun-cured Virginia tobacco and food crops (vegetable, maize and bean production) on a rotational farming basis to ensure that their crops mix provides a sustainable source of financial and food security and have a positive impact for their communities.
The initiative empowers 150 farmers in total, farming at 15 sites in five provinces; Limpopo, Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape, touching 4,300 beneficiaries, offering support through incubation, training and mentorship.
The groups of farmers successfully cultivated sun-cured Virginia tobacco, which is sold to BATSA through Limpopo Tobacco Processors. The ultimate goal of this project is to technically grow the farmers, provide incubation and farmer development, financial administration and central purchasing services. By doing this, Lemang Agricultural Services creates suitably trained, experienced and sustainable new era tobacco farmers who can successfully progress to the status of commercial tobacco farmers.
Each of the new era farmers is at various stages of development with continuous training and practical guidance from mentors. Beyond empowering the new era farmers to become experienced, an extension of the programme is to empower the new era farmers to become successful business owners by offering assistance and training in business development, financial and administrative assistance at the Vastfontein Training Academy. Lemang Agricultural Services project manages the total programme with a tobacco agronomy team and support from the existing team.