1 Year (4 months theory and 6 months practical)
Lemang Training Farm: Vastfontein
Pretoria North, Plot 130 Alpha Road, Vastfontein
2 November 2021
PURPOSE OF QUALIFICATION
Learners assessed as competent against this qualification will have the necessary competence to supervise and lead a working team performing the agricultural processes as applicable to plant husbandry. Furthermore, they will be able to take responsible decisions based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of agribusiness and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan, which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills. Learners will also be able to adhere to and implement according to the level of supervision as well as the relevant quality, safety and hygiene standards as applicable within the industry.
In addition, they will be well positioned to extend their learning and practice into other areas of agricultural commodities within a context of either agronomy or horticulture as applicable to the agricultural commodity, or to strive towards agricultural management standards and practice at higher levels.
Competent qualifying learners in this qualification will oversee the production of quality agricultural products, thereby enhancing the overall agricultural process and gaining opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
Sound like the right course for you?
If you think this is the right course for you, you can easily enrol by filling in your details at the form at the link below.
*Please note that each course is dependant on a minimum of 15 students before commencement date.
MODULE 1: ANIMAL PRODUCTION
- Apply advanced breeding practices for farm animals
- Explain animal anatomy and physiology
- Explain elementary animal nutrition
- Explain the harvesting of animal products
- Explain the prevention and treatment of animal diseases
- Minimise risk in animal management
- Apply pig husbandry practices
MODULE 2: AGRI-BUSINESS
- Apply marketing principles in agriculture
- Control inputs and stock in agribusiness
- Identify and recognise factors influencing agricultural enterprise selection
- Illustrate and understand the basic layout of financial statements
- Operate and support a food safety and quality management system in the agricultural supply chain
MODULE 3: AGRICULTURAL PRACTICES
- Apply layout principles for conservation and infrastructure
- Explain principles of human resources management and practices in agriculture
- Monitor water quality
- Utilise and perform minor repair and maintenance tasks on implements, equipment and infrastructure
- Recognise and identify the basic functions of the ecological environment
- Participate in agri/ecotourism practices at both micro and meso levels for tourism purposes
MODULE 4: COMMUNICATION
- Access and use information from written texts
- Maintain and adapt oral communication
- Use language and communication in occupational learning programmes
- Write for a defined context
MODULE 5: MATHEMATICS
- Apply basic knowledge of statistics and probability to influence the use of data and procedures in order to investigate “real life” related problems
- Demonstrate understanding of rational and irrational numbers and number systems
- Measure, estimate and calculate physical quantities and explore, describe and represent geometrical relationships in two dimensions in different life or workplace contexts
- Monitor, collect and collate agricultural data
- Use mathematics to investigate and monitor the financial aspects of personal and community life
- Work with a range of patterns and functions and solve problems